Help Make Preservation a Priority!
Columbus Landmarks’ Home Preservation Program, in partnership with the Historic Preservation Education Foundation, is excited to announce the launch of a new program – the Window Warriors Program. This 3-day intensive workshop will train individuals in the repair and restoration of historic wood windows. There is a $50 fee that is refundable at the conclusion of the three-day workshop.
This pilot program will offer hands-on training to 10 Columbus residents preparing them to:
Repair and maintain historic, wooden sash windows;
Acquire valuable building skills for employment in the construction industry;
Acquire skills to begin a side-line or a full-time practice in the historic building trades;
Gain on-the-job experience while working on an actual historic residential building.
The program will be led by preservation expert Jim Turner of Turner Restoration. For over 30 years, Jim has specialized in the repair and restoration of the windows and wood features of historic buildings. He is the director of the Samuel Plato Academy of Historic Preservation Trades in Louisville, KY. He also serves as an advisor to the National Trust, working with communities across the country to help them repair and preserve their historic buildings.
Participants are expected to:
• Have a strong interest in not simply learning a hands-on skill but also in pursuing hands-on
preservation work as a vocation.
• Be committed to the full schedule of the training program throughout one intensive weekend
• Provide their own transportation to and from the job site
• Wear appropriate work clothing – long pants and , close-toed shoes are a must.
Each participant will receive:
• Intensive Hands-on Training: Participants will learn sash removal, safe paint & glass removal, sash
preparation for glazing and paint, window frame repair and preparation, removal of old and installation
of new sash ropes, glazing putty application, weather stripping & sash installation. Participants will
know, from beginning to end, how to completely restore a double-hung wooden window.
• Historic Preservation Education: Participants will receive an introduction to historic preservation
(overview, resources, terms, The Secretary of Interior Standards for Rehabilitation), an understanding
of wood window construction and operation, and an understanding of techniques and materials for
researching existing conditions and determining a solution.
• Specialized Tools: Each participant will receive their own tool kit that includes hand tools specialized
for wood window restoration plus additional basic carpentry tools.
• Personal Protective Equipment: Each participant will receive the necessary personal protective
equipment to wear throughout the training. Safe social distancing and workplace practices will be
strictly adhered to in compliance with COVID-19 restrictions.
Download OR fill out the Window Warrior application online by Oct. 23, 2020