2018 Most Endangered Buildings
Salesian Boys and Girls Club
Year Built: 1927
Building Address: 80 S. Sixth St. Columbus
Original Use: Fraternal Organization / Athletic Club
Current Use: Vacant and Secured
Building Condition: Stable and Secure/Maintenance & Repair Needed
Owner: 80 S. Sixth Street LLC
Style and Significance:
The Salesian Boys and Girls Club was built in 1927 as an Athletic Club, Auditorium and Headquarters for the Knights of Columbus. Designed by the significant local architecture firm, Richards, McCarty and Bulford, the building is five stories tall and ornamented and decorated in the Beaux Arts style popular in that period. The building was acquired by the Salesian Society in 1968 and used as a Boys and Girls Club. The building was last used by the Bosco Center until May 2017 and has since been vacant.
1.4.19 UPDATE: The building was sold on 12/28/18 for $3,000,000 to 80 S. Sixth Street LLC. The status and future of the building is unknown at this time. The building is adaptable and reusable.
Photos by Orbit Design & Richard Burry