East Pilgrim Elementary School
Year Built: 1921
Address: 440 Taylor Avenue Columbus, OH 43203
Built to alleviate overcrowding at other schools and to accommodate growing number of children on Columbus’s east side, the building opened in November of 1921. It was named the “Pilgrim” school by the Columbus Board of Education to honor the tri-centennial of the Pilgrims’ landing. An Ohio Historical Marker notes the cooperative and community-minded nature of the school and active participation of working class parents. The building could see a second life due to its location in a residential neighborhood that is part of the East PACT planning area.