The story of Poindexter Village continues to unfold. Poindexter Village was named for the Rev. James Preston Poindexter (1819-1907), an abolitionist, civil rights advocate, social justice pioneer, politician, and Baptist minister. Operated by the Columbus Metropolitan Housing Authority, Poindexter Village opened in 1940 as one of the first public housing projects in America. As demolition of much of the Village proceeded in 2013, an Expert Committee was appointed to evaluate the possibility of saving 10 buildings on the site. Cathy D. Nelson represented Columbus Landmarks on that committee.
The Committee presented its Report on June 27, 2013, recommending the retention and adaptive reuse of the 10 buildings. The Columbus Metropolitan Housing Authority responded to the Report of the Expert Committee on July 19, 2013. The Response reported the view of the Authority that, for economic reasons, the decision had been made to save only two buildings while also remaining committed to several other projects to mitigate the loss of Poindexter Village.
The position of Columbus Landmarks Foundation on the issue of Poindexter Village has not changed over the course of the long journey of loss of this important part of the past of Columbus, Ohio. Poindexter Village should have been saved and Columbus Landmarks remains committed to the retention of what remains.
Archived Documents/Communication related to Poindexter Village: