124 South Washington Avenue
Year Built: 1869
Address: 124 S. Washington St. Columbus, OH 43215
Original Building Use: Residential
Current Building Use: Retail-Spa / Yoga
Building Condition: Good
This house is a well-maintained example of a brick late Carpenter Gothic residence popular in the middle of the 19th century and is a contributing structure in the East Town Street Historic District listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is noteworthy due to superb details in its bargeboards, double bracketed eaves and porch. There is a large carriage house in the rear of the property. The 1891 City Directory indicates that Louis Carl, a veterinarian, lived in the home and ran his veterinary surgery office in the carriage house.
Replenish Spa is a successful business currently operating at this location. However, this building and another contributing building in the E. Town Street Historic District (571-573 Oak Street) are erased from the “concept/future phase” of the Motorist Topiary Park development plan. On February 15, a Motorist representative requested demolition approval from the Historic Resources Commission for the Oak Street property. The request was tabled until the future phase plan is presented. Both buildings represent the architectural integrity of the neighborhood and should be reused within the redevelopment.
Photos by Orbit Design & Richard Burry