Most Endangered Buildings
1. Clinton Chapel (1838)
3100 N. High Street, Columbus, Ohio
…stop on the Underground Railroad and a speakeasy
Owned by SGFWN LLC
The 1838 Clinton Chapel, today enveloped in the recently closed Southwick-Good & Fortkamp Funeral Chapel, was the first church built in Clinton Township. The chapel, which is not visible from the street view of the property, was built from brick cast from clay of the nearby ravine and features hand hewn beams from the forest that once covered the land. The chapel is historically significant because it was a stop on the Underground Railroad and a speakeasy during Prohibition. Clinton Chapel is one of the oldest standing structures in Franklin County and has been preserved within the Southwick family’s successful business since 1939. The property is currently for sale and the building is threatened by potential redevelopment.