2018 Most Endangered Buildings
Greater Columbus Antique Mall
Year Built: 1889
Building Address: 1049 S. High St., Columbus
Original Use: Residence
Current Use: Retail-Antique Mall
Building Condition: Good/ Deferred Maintenance in some aspects
Owner: Fred Altevogt
Owner Address: 1045 S. High St., Columbus
Owner Phone: (614) 443-7858
Style and Significance:
Style/Significance: The building at 1045 S. High Street was built in 1889 and is an example of Victorian Eclectic Italianate with a distinctive belvedere. George Janton, Sr. was the original owner – a Bavarian immigrant who was a soap and candle manufacturer.
George, his wife and oldest son died in 1897, and the home passed to younger son Fred Janton who owned it until 1924. The house then became the Woodyard Funeral Home, and later Hughes Funeral Home. The building was an Elks Lodge from 1952 through 1970s. The current owners purchased the building in 1979 and their Antique Mall is a much-loved enterprise. The building is believed to be haunted, and the owners have graciously entertained Columbus Landmarks ghost tours over the years to meet the “gentleman with the handlebar mustache” thought not to be Mr. Janton, but possibly one of the embalmers?
The building is threatened with demolition to make way for a drive-thru restaurant. Jared Schiff of Schiff Properties is expected to present a proposed concept for the site at the June 7 Brewery District Commission Meeting. The owner is interested in selling the property.
Photos by Orbit Design & Richard Burry