Wonderful coverage of this herculean effort! Congratulations Green Lawn Abbey Preservation Association and to everyone involved!!!
The Tavern Keeper and His Daughter
… or the Tavern Mistress and Her Father?
Join us for an evening of stories about historic ghosts of Columbus in the most rehabbed, reused, repurposed, and now reborn building since Revolutionary War veteran, Thomas Asbury, first opened it in 1831 … The Jury Room.
Tuesday, October 30 7-9pm
$15 Members/$20 Non-Members
According to local lore, the space that occupies 22 East Mound street has had many incarnations since it was built in 1831 and has stood watch as Columbus grew. Located in the River South district in Downtown Columbus, it’s been a stagecoach stop, a hotel for visiting judges hearing cases at the county courthouse across the street, a bar and restaurant, and even a bordello in the 1850s.
When it became The Jury Room in the mid-20th century it kept its tradition of being a favorite watering hole for judges, attorneys and people from all walks of life to meet and discuss the issues of the day. In recent years the space has been home to a few different bars and restaurants but, at its heart, it’s always been The Jury Room to those of us from Columbus with far reaching memories.
Mark Dempsey and his daughter, Megan Dempsey, will join us to share what they unearthed during the recent renovation (yes, there was an experience!) and the joys of dirt shoveling, weird electrical connections, lost tin ceilings, and discovering the actual (well, maybe) site of the famous 19th century murder perpetrated by Francis Miller.
Columbus Landmarks will share stories from our 35 years of ghost tours. We will tell some tales we are reluctant to mention on tours (tonight we spill the beans); and all are invited to participate in telling their own chilling tales.
An event not to be recreated for another 177 years. Snacks on us; drinks on you … unless you can get that shadowy figure at the end of the bar to treat before he disappears for the night …